Several top players have slipped through the net of the Stamford Bridge side in recent times and the Italian is keen for the trend to stop.
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has said that the club must tighten up their transfer policy in the future to ensure that they don’t allow top players such as Mohamed Salah or Kevin De Bruyne to depart.
Both played for the Blues earlier in their careers but were unable to make the breakthrough at Stamford Bridge and were ultimately shipped out from the club.
Neither went directly to a Premier League rival, but after moving abroad they returned to Liverpool and Manchester City, and they have haunted Chelsea this season with some dazzling displays as both clubs have excelled.
Meanwhile, Conte’s men face a battle to qualify for the Champions League next term and the Italian, whose future at the club appears far from secure, believes that they must become shrewder in the transfer market.
“We must have talents like Salah and De Bruyne that remain at the club in the future,” he said ahead of Sunday’s match with Tottenham.
“I think the club has the right people to make the best evaluation of these players. There is a structure that evaluates and makes the best decisions for these players for the past, the present and the future.”
He believes that they are making strides in the correct direction, pointing out a number of promising youngsters on their books.
“We are trying this season, you can see that Andreas Christensen has a big part to play,” he said.
“It’s the same for Ethan Ampadu, the same for Callum Hudson-Odoi. I think that Chelsea are doing this.
“Last season, if you remember, Loftus-Cheek and Nathaniel Chalobah, Kenedy and Charly Musonda all played. I think it’s right, also, to give the space if they deserve to have the space, not just because you are a young player.”
Chelsea must beat Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Sunday to maintain their hopes of a top-four finish.