Transfer offers Roma have received for striker Edin Dzeko are not “acceptable,” the Italian club’s sporting director Monchi said on Wednesday.
The Bosnian forward has been heavily linked to a move to Chelsea ,According to earlier reports saying the deal was almost done.
But speaking ahead of his side’s Serie A clash at Sampdoria, Monchi denied that any deal had been struck.
“Roma, like every club in the world, listen to the offers that arrive for their players, not just for Edin, but anyone in the squad,” Monchi said.
“We are ready to listen and then we decide. Now Dzeko is here and the rest doesn’t matter, which means what we’ve received so far wasn’t acceptable.
“I don’t know what personal terms were offered to the player, as I am not his agent. I am talking about Roma — an offer arrives, we look at it and then decide.
“A director of sport must look at the economic and sporting aspect, that is the point of the role. I am a director, I must consider both, otherwise tomorrow I would’ve gone to sign Leo Messi.
“We must win to change the dynamics of the last few games. We had a good performance against Inter and today need an even better one.”
Dzeko started Roma’s game amid reports that said Chelsea had bid £44m plus add-ons worth £13.2m for both Dzeko and defender Emerson Palmieri.
Chelsea have already made room for Emerson in their squad by clearing Kenedy to move to Newcastle on loan.
Reports have also linked a loan of Michy Batshuayi to Roma as part of a makeweight for Dzeko, who played in the Premier League with Manchester City from 2011-16.
The 31-year-old was the top scorer in Serie A last season, and already has nine goals in the current campaign.
Chelsea have been looking for an extra striker and were reportedly close to a move for Andy Carroll, but an injury to the West Ham man scuppered those plans.